Some days I like to imagine that I am the Kiswahili version of Julia and Julia. Okay, so I’ve only cooked two or three recipes from scratch at this point, but a girl can aspire, can’t she?
Anyway, cooking in Tanzania is a fun adventure. There are many things that I really, really miss here, like:
- Cheese…available, but REALLY spendy
- Flavored coffee creamer
- Ground turkey
- Good chicken
- Tortilla chips
BUT, there are also some really awesome substitutes. Fruits and veggies here are plentiful and cost pennies. Almost everything here is organic and “lean.”
New food items that I’m coming to love.
- Passion fruit!
- Avocadoes are amazing and cheap here. I’m basically living off of guacamole right now.
- Great Watermelon
- Mangoes (the one thing I have to look forward to about the hot season, which is November to March)
- Awesome, flavorful carrots
- Cheap cashews
- Wonderful, rich coffee
- Rice and Beans- I have no idea how Tanzanians do it, but I absolutely ADORE their rice and beans….they are so good! I usually eat at least a couple meals of rice and beans in a week.